Red Bull pilot Sergio Perez won the Azerbaijan Grand Prix thanks to the accident of his teammate Max Verstappen.
The Dutchman led the race for a long time, but four laps before the finish, he crashed the car on the starting line. A safety car appeared on the track, and then the stewards suspended the race with red flags. Presumably, the cause of the accident was a puncture of the left rear wheel.
After a long pause, the race resumed with a restart from the spot, the victory was kept by Perez. After that, Lewis Hamilton in his Mercedes, who took second place, braked too late before the first corner and passed almost the entire peloton ahead.
The second in the end was Sebastian Vettel in the Aston Martin. Pierre Gasly closed the top three.
Earlier on lap 31, Aston Martin’s Lance Stroll, who was fourth, lost control of the car in a straight line and was knocked off the track. The incident also led to the appearance of a safety car on the track.
World Championship. 6th stage. Azerbaijan Grand Prix
1. Sergio Perez (Mexico, Red Bull)
2. Sebastian Vettel (Germany, Aston Martin) – +1.385
3. Pierre Gasly (France, “Alpha Tauri”) – 2.762
4. Charles Leclair (Monaco, Ferrari) – +3.828
5. Lando Norris (Great Britain, McLaren) – +4.754
6. Fernando Alonso (Spain, Alpin) – +6.382
7. Yuki Tsunoda (Japan, “Alpha Tauri”) – +6.624
8. Carlos Sainz (Spain, Ferrari) – +7.709
9. Daniel Ricciardo (Australia, McLaren) – +8.874
10. Kimi Raikkonen (Finland, Alfa Romeo) – +9.576
11. Antonio Giovinazzi (Italy, Alfa Romeo) – +10.254
12. Valtteri Bottas (Finland, Mercedes) – +11.264
13. Nicolas Latifi (Canada, Williams) – +12.379
14. Mick Schumacher (Germany, Haas) – +14.241
15. Nikita Mazepin (Russia, “Haas”) – +14.315
16. Lewis Hamilton (Great Britain, Mercedes) – +17.668
17. George Russell (Great Britain, Williams) – did not finish
18. Max Verstappen (Netherlands, Red Bull) – did not finish
19. Lance Stroll (Canada, Aston Martin) – did not finish
20. Esteban Ocon (France, Alpin) – did not finish