Lewis Hamilton Won The Portuguese Grand Prix For The Second Time In A Row
British racing driver Lewis Hamilton has won the fourth round of this Formula 1 season in Portugal.
Starting from second position, Lewis Hamilton managed to get ahead in the first half of the race and reached the finish line as the leader.
For the rider, the victory was the 97th in his career and the second this season after the success at the Bahrain Grand Prix. In addition, Lewis Hamilton became the best in Portugal for the second time in a row – he also won a race on this track last season.
Red Bull’s Max Verstappen finished second, beating pole-holder Valtteri Bottas on lap 37. Finn closed the top three.
The fastest lap bonus in the race (1.19.865) was earned by Bottas using a “free” pit stop at the end of the race. On the last lap of the distance, Verstappen improved this time, but the stewards removed the Dutchman’s best lap for trespassing.
At the very beginning of the race, a safety car appeared on the track – as a result of a collision between Kimi Raikkonen and his Alfa Romeo partner Antonio Giovinazzi on the second lap, the Finnish pilot lost his front wing, strewn with debris. As a result, Raikkonen dropped out of the race.
World Championship. 3rd stage. Portuguese Grand Prix
1. Lewis Hamilton (Great Britain, “Mercedes”)
2. Max Verstappen (Netherlands, Red Bull) – +29.148
3. Valtteri Bottas (Finland, Mercedes) – +33.530
4. Sergio Perez (Mexico, Red Bull) – +39.735
5. Lando Norris (Great Britain, McLaren) – +51.369
6. Charles Leclair (Monaco, Ferrari) – +55.781
7. Esteban Ocon (France, “Alpin”) +1.03.749
8. Fernando Alonso (Spain, Alpin) – +1.04.808
9. Daniel Ricciardo (Australia, McLaren) – +1.15.369
10. Pierre Gasly (France, “Alpha Tauri”) – +1.16.463
11. Carlos Sainz (Spain, Ferrari) – +1.18.955
12. Antonio Giovinazzi (Italy, Alfa Romeo) – +1 lap
13. Sebastian Vettel (Germany, Aston Martin) – +1 lap
14. Lance Stroll (Canada, Aston Martin) – +1 lap
15. Yuki Tsunoda (Japan, “Alpha Tauri”) – +1 circle
16. George Russell (Great Britain, Williams) – +1 lap
17. Mick Schumacher (Germany, “Haas”) – +2 laps
18. Nicolas Latifi (Canada, Williams) – +2 laps
19. Nikita Mazepin (Russia, “Haas”) – +2 laps
20. Kimi Raikkonen (Finland, Alfa Romeo) – retirement
The driver of “Mercedes” Lewis Hamilton summed up the victorious Grand Prix of Portugal.
– I tell you, it was a very difficult race both physically and mentally. It was very windy and therefore it was easy to make a mistake in driving. I didn’t start as well as Valtteri (Bottas) and then lost to him at the restart, which, of course, was not very happy about. I needed to get around it as early as possible before the tires were worn out. And I managed to do it in the first corner at the very edge of the track. Great race, said Hamilton.
Perez named the best driver of the Portuguese Grand Prix
Mexican pilot “Red Bull” Sergio Perez became the best driver in the Portuguese Grand Prix race.
In the fan vote for this title, Perez was ahead of Lewis Hamilton, Max Verstappen, Daniel Ricciardo, and Fernando Alonso.