Ferrari’s Monegasque Charles Leclair won pole position at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix. Note that this is the second victory in qualifying for the 23-year-old driver in a row: earlier he became the fastest in Monaco.
The second place on the starting grid will be taken by the British driver of “Mercedes” Lewis Hamilton, the top-3 was closed by the leader of the championship Dutchman Max Verstappen (“Red Bull”).
Qualification ended ahead of schedule due to the sorties of Carlos Sainz’s Ferrari and Yuki Tsunoda’s Alpha Tauri. The incident occurred during the decisive attempt in the third segment a few seconds before the end of the session.
Note that during the first segment, Canadian pilot of Aston Martin Lance Stroll and Italian Antonio Giovinazzi from Alfa Romeo crashed their cars in accidents.
In the second segment the Australian racer of McLaren Daniel Ricciardo, who also did not fit into one of the turns of the city track, finished ahead of schedule.
World Championship. 6th stage. Azerbaijan Grand Prix
1. Charles Leclair (Monaco, Ferrari) – 1.41,218
2. Lewis Hamilton (Great Britain, “Mercedes”) – +0.232
3. Max Verstappen (Netherlands, Red Bull) – +0.345
4. Pierre Gasly (France, “Alpha Tauri”) – +0.347
5. Carlos Sainz (Spain, Ferrari) – +0.358
6. Lando Norris (Great Britain, McLaren) – +0.529
7. Sergio Perez (Mexico, Red Bull) – +0.699
8. Yuki Tsunoda (Japan, “Alpha Tauri”) – +0.993
9. Fernando Alonso (Spain, Alpin) – +1.109
10. Valtteri Bottas (Finland, Mercedes) – +1.441
Retired after the second segment
11. Sebastian Vettel (Germany, Aston Martin)
12. Esteban Ocon (France, “Alpin”)
13. Daniel Ricciardo (Australia, McLaren)
14. Kimi Raikkonen (Finland, Alfa Romeo)
15. George Russell (Great Britain, Williams)
Retired after the first segment
16. Nicolas Latifi (Canada, Williams)
17. Mick Schumacher (Germany, “Haas”)
18. Nikita Mazepin (Russia, “Haas”)
19. Lance Stroll (Canada, Aston Martin)
20. Antonio Giovinazzi (Italy, Alfa Romeo).