Features and review of the 2020 Ford Kuga: appearance, interior, technical details, price tag, model equipment
The content of the article
- External appearance
- Price and equipment
In April 2019, as part of a special ‘Go Further’ event, Ford introduced the world to the new 3rd generation of the Ford Kuga compact crossover, known in the North American market as the Escape.
In the course of the generation change, the car acquired a completely new appearance, a modernized interior, and technical filling, and also received an expanded list of basic and optional equipment.
Official sales of new items in Europe started in the summer of 2019, but Russian motorists were out of luck because Ford management has no plans to supply the model to the domestic market. But be that as it may, the car deserves to be told in more detail.
As we already said, the car has been greatly changed in appearance and now looks a lot like a pumped-up Ford Focus of the latest generation. The front part of the body meets with expressive head optics with LED filling, a branded large-mesh false radiator grille, and a stylish bumper with a trapezoidal air intake and compact fog lamps.
When looking at the car in profile, a long and low bonnet, inflated wheel arches, spectacular sidewall embossings, and a domed roofline are striking.
The monumental stern is represented by a large fifth door that opens access to the luggage compartment, strict sidelights, and a monumental rear bumper with two exhaust pipes.
In comparison with its predecessor, the crossover has added some dimensions:
Length, mm 4613 (+89)
Width, mm 1882 (+44)
Height, mm 1669 (-20)
Wheelbase length, mm 2710 (+20)
For the choice of buyers, the manufacturer offers as many as 12 body colors, as well as 6 different design options for wheel rims, available in diameters from 17 to 20 inches.
Salon Ford Kuga 2020
The interior of the updated Ford Kuga almost completely repeats that of the latest generation Ford Focus, which is famous for its quality of performance and excellent ergonomics.
In front of the driver are a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster and a plump three-spoke multifunction steering wheel with a slightly cut lower rim. In the upper part of the center console, the manufacturer installed a touchscreen display of the SYNC3 media and information complex, and just below it – the acoustic system control unit, the air duct deflector unit, and the climate system control, which is distinguished by intuitive controls. The build quality and materials used are above all praise and may well compete with cars of a higher price category.
For front riders, high-quality and comfortable seats with pronounced lateral support, a wide range of electrical adjustments, as well as heating, and even a ventilation function are prepared.
A comfortable armrest is located between the chairs, in the depths of which there is a niche for various luggage. A gearshift selector, a pair of cupholders, an electronic parking brake activation button, and a few more auxiliary buttons are located on the center console.
The rear sofa, although it is profiled for two passengers, can accommodate a third if necessary. At the same time, the manufacturer placed the second-row seats on special sleds that allow the longitudinal movement of the seats. So, if the seats are moved back as much as possible, passengers will receive a record 1,035 m of free legroom by the standards of the class.
The manufacturer does not report the exact volume of the trunk, but it is unlikely that it has significantly decreased in comparison with its predecessor, where it was 456-1653 liters.
Specifications Ford Kuga 2020
The new Ford Kuga features a wide range of gasoline, diesel, and hybrid powertrains.
- 1.5-liter EcoBoost with a combined fuel supply system that generates 120 “horses” and 240 Nm of torque. With it, the acceleration of the car from 0 to 100 is 11.6 seconds, the maximum speed is 184 km / h, the fuel consumption is about 6 liters in the combined travel mode.
- 1.5-liter EcoBoost with 150 hp from. and 240 Nm of torque. With such an engine, the car accelerates from 0 to 100 in 9.7 seconds, the maximum speed reaches 195 km / h, and the average fuel consumption does not exceed 6 l / 100 km.
Both in the first and in the second case, the car is equipped with front-wheel drive and a 6-speed manual gearbox.
- 1.5-liter EcoBlue unit producing 120 liters. from. and 300 Nm of rotational thrust. Such an engine can be paired with a 6-speed manual transmission or an 8-band “automatic”. Acceleration from 0 to 100 – in 11.7 seconds, the maximum speed does not exceed 180 km / h, and the combined fuel consumption is 4.4 liters.
- 2-liter turbodiesel generating 190 “horses” and 400 Nm of peak torque. It can also be paired with a manual transmission or automatic transmission at 6 and 8 speeds, respectively. Such a motor provides acceleration from 0 to 100 in 8.7 seconds, a top speed of 208 km / h, and mixed fuel consumption of 5.1 l / 100 km.
In the first case, the car is equipped with a front-drive, and in the second – with an all-wheel drive.
Hybrid power plants:
- in the EcoBlue Hybrid version – a 2-liter diesel engine and a 48-volt starter-generator powered by a small lithium-ion battery. This symbiosis allows the generation of 150 liters. from. and 370 Nm of torque, which allows you to accelerate from 0 to 100 in 9.6 seconds, accelerate to 194 km / h, and consume no more than 4.5 liters of fuel per “hundred”.
- in the Plug-in Hybrid version – a 2.5-liter Atkinson engine and an electric motor, which develop a total of 225 “horses” and 200 Nm of peak torque. This is enough for the car to accelerate from 0 to 100 in 9.2 seconds, reach a maximum speed of 200 km / h and consume no more than 1.2 liters of fuel per 100 km. On electric traction alone, the car is able to travel about 50 km, and the total recharging time is about 4 hours.
The car is based on the C2 branded “trolley”, on which the latest generation of Ford Focus is also built. The manufacturer emphasizes that thanks to the platform change, the body rigidity has increased by 10%. The steering of the car is supplemented with an electric booster, and disc brakes are responsible for braking (front with ventilation function).
2020 Ford Kuga price and equipment
The minimum cost of the updated Ford Kuga in Europe, in particular, in the German market, starts from 26.3 thousand euros. For this money, the buyer receives:
- 17-inch wheels;
- heated exterior mirrors with electric drive and repeaters;
- tire pressure monitoring system;
- head optics with LED DRL;
- fabric seat upholstery;
- electric power steering;
- SYNC3 media system with 8-inch screen;
- Cruise control;
- virtual dashboard;
- air conditioning system;
- a wide range of security systems;
- front seats with reinforced lateral support;
- front and side airbags;
- ISOFIX fasteners and more.
In the top-end versions, the list of equipment is replenished:
- premium acoustics from B&O;
- ventilation system for the first and second-row seats;
- light-alloy “rollers” R19-20;
- automatic deceleration system;
- adaptive cruise control;
- system of keeping the car in the lane;
- dual-zone climate control, etc.
Ford Kuga is quite an interesting car both in terms of design and interior filling. However, its greatest strengths lie in a wide range of power plants, relatively low cost, and rich configuration.